It’s a Beautiful Morning

 A morning cigarette is still legal and honestly one of the best pick me ups. Hours of sleep create a short withdrawal which makes the nicotine go straight to your head. Ask anyone: it’s a rush.

But it’s not for me anymore.

Sometimes I choke and gag on the thing. It starts a wet cough which turns into gagging. I don’t know why this is occurring. Ive enjoyed one too many morning drags without repercussions. It’s time to face the music I guess. 

It seems worse with regulars. I prefer a menthol in the morning. In my opinion, Newports are the best morning smokes. They’re clean and smooth, and the menthol relaxes the throat (I sound like an old doctor). As unhealthy as it is, it can be a slice of bliss. Take my word for it. 

The morning puff is hardly unique, out of the 40 cigarettes I smoke a day (now where’s an old doctor when I need one?). I’m accustomed to waking up and lighting up once the coffee is brewing. However with the ill effects of this, I like to wait til I’ve gotten my shower before I indulge (some kind of delayed gratification thinking. I deserve a pat on the back). The truth is, as much as I smoke, it’s not going to get any better for me.

You might recall a post I wrote where I promised not to mention my smoking, and if you’re a devoted reader you’ve noticed that I did not adhere to that. Shame on me. 

It’s such a big part of my life and my writing routine, it somehow bleeds onto the page. Call it a trailer park/writer stereotype.

The thing is, I don’t have a problem with my smoking, I just figure everyone else does.

It is what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love This (Trailer) Park

Recovery

Thanks Whatever: Spruce Creek Park