Get in the Groove
I work on the modest porch of a Florida trailer. They’re big porches, properly called Florida rooms. It’s split in two parts: the front part with the metal door, which no longer works— it got smashed in by a hurricane; and the back part which stores all John’s tools and paint stuff on shelves and tables. His bike is back there, plus a pressure washer and the washing machine.
I sit in the front part, at a small repurposed kitchen table with a chair. With a lamp and a radio, which I cannot plug in at the same time. If I want the radio I have to use a flashlight with a hook for light. I light a candle too. We’re nearing the end of September and it’s very windy right now but the temperature is perfect at 78 degrees. I love it.
My writing doesn’t necessarily happen at night, but I’m a bonafide night owl, so it’s bound to occur then. If I’m not “working on a piece” (I’ve heard that phrase has a different meaning), then I’m editing another piece or waiting for inspiration and or juggling an idea. I must be a very patient person (no I’m not). I like this time of night, the dark just seems magical and mysterious. It seems like when writing should occur, and if it does I’m willing to ride the night for hours til it’s done. Really it’s insanity. I hate to admit this, but I don’t go to sleep until five in the morning. I’ve taken the night owl thing past its meaning. Five am is morning, it’s a fact. So call me an early bird.
What does all this look like? The iPad in front of me positioned on a slant (buying the case was a very good idea). Right now I have two websites open: Visit the Afterlife and the AA meeting guide. Black plastic ashtray sits to the left or right, depending on which smoking hand I’ve decided to use (I’m favoring the left lately. Give the right a break). I smoke Seneca regulars, but I’ve got 305 menthols handy. I like to switch it up (menthols are refreshing. And a nice reward). I have a personalized coffee mug (which are hard to find, so I had to buy it) filled with either coffee or black tea.
Sometimes I crack open a soda, like a Mountain Dew. I suppose this whole life wouldn’t be possible without caffeine, so I’ll give credit where credit is due while taking advantage of a cliche. They both come in handy.
So when it gets cold later this year I’ll have to go inside. That sucks, but i can use a blanket and a heater at my feet. It’s pretty much the same set up and items. Further turning the house into a nicotine time capsule (sigh). Inside I have a pretty glass heart shaped ash tray which I like (I’m not supposed to use the glass ones. It’s a whole story). The desk is too cluttered to write at so I use a side table John built himself. I can’t listen to radio inside because it would interfere with John watching tv. But I can listen to music on you tube with Bluetooth ear buds, which sometimes creates a vibe which helps me “compose.”
Right now they’re talking about Roswell on coast to coast am. I’ve really grown fond of this radio show.
Sometimes I’m doing everything but write. But it’s okay. It all leads me to the same place.
This blog is just for fun writing. It’s not a serious endeavor. I have to remember that.
Comments
Post a Comment