Finding A Good Book
As much as I write, you would think I read a lot. That is not the case (unless you count me reading my own journals. Shame on me).
I have a hard time finding books i wanna read. I used to go to the library frequently and I was reading much then, but it was hard to find the books. There’s a certain genre I’m into, like autobiography/memoir/ addiction and recovery/humor/basically anything creative nonfiction. It does exist. Like Love Warrior or Pour Me a Life or Sex Cult Nun (yeah I had to read that, the title was too intriguing). However, I could spend a good hour browsing spines and still leave empty handed.
Other good titles are Drinking: A Love Story and My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward. Give me the hard stuff.
For a while I was really into my religious and spiritual books. I found all of them at thrift stores, and I had a nice collection, but after I absorbed their wisdom I donated them (except for Love Wins. Im hoarding that). The hardest one to read was an exegesis of The Book of John. As you can tell, I like nonfiction. That is my problem.
My neighbor gave me these books she swore were great and had herself hooked reading them. She likes Colleen Hoover. She gave me Shark River and Fever Beach. I read some passages out of Shark River and the writing was stellar. But if anything says “A Novel”, I’m out; I won’t even try. Another neighbor gifted me a book with the same sentiment: this is awesome, you should read it. Supposedly That’s Not My Name is a killer read. I’ll never know. I guess I’m just plain mean.
Nah, I’m just a picky reader. And I’m not ashamed of that. Ive never claimed to be a voracious reader. I hardly consider reading one of my hobbies. I don’t take books to the beach. I go in streaks. I ordered a trilogy of Annie Dillard from Amazon a year ago and I still haven’t finished it. Except for The Writing Life, because it is relatively short.
I’ve tried internet and blog reading, and I discovered an author I like: Maggie May Etheridge. She’s good. You’ll find her on Substack.
I know frequent reading contributes to better writing.
If you can think of a good book I’d like, let me know.
PS. Italicizing all these titles was hard work.
Comments
Post a Comment