Electric Light Overload

 Help! The internet is taking over my life.

I just realized how much time I spend on my iPad, and phone, every day. And it’s too much. From texting, to checking email, to blogging, to asking Google questions. It’s insane.

 I was never like this. I was somewhat old fashioned for a millennial. I had a flip phone. I journaled in an actual journal. I read real books and solved paper crosswords. I could idly smoke a cigarette without “electronic stimulation”. 

But John bought me an iPad so I could work on my blog (and not use his). And I have to be grateful for that. It has really come in handy, so I can work on Job applications (so where’s my job?). So I can have a “life.” Okay.

And with this new phone — the big fancy kind that needs a case— I spend hours before bed scrolling you tube and playing solitaire. I had no problem with the solitaire on my old phone, but John says this way (the smart way) is better. Well, it’s nice, but it’s not necessary. It doesn’t help me sleep any better. Why can’t I read a book in bed like a normal person? (Because I can’t find a good book, damn it!)

And I won’t lie: I get a little jolt every time I hear a text message. Even if it is just my mom sending “I love you.” But somehow the debt collection people started texting me, no joke. Weird.

People used to call, even if it cost long distance, and send postcards or letters. Hell, I’d really get a jolt if I received a letter. It’s been a while.

I have to admit it, this is the new normal. Plugged in and turned on. The phone on you at all times. Every question needs an answer. Words must be typed. The weather on standby. Endless games (I was in a habit of downloading every game that looked fun). Faces lit up by screens. Instant gratification in a world of information and entertainment.

One thing I still do that I’m happy about is listen to the radio. Talk radio on WNDB. It’s just background noise but its presence reminds that the old way still exists and is not going anywhere anytime soon. 

I hope.

Another thing I’m happy about is that I’m not on social media. I finally deleted my Facebook. It was about time. It was just so…stupid (sorry).

I like my daily routine, even if it is sitting in front of my “computer” most times. I like to think I have a personal office. That I’m doing work. Sure.

Anyways, it’s not an addiction, it’s my choice. It hasn’t harmed me yet.

I hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love This (Trailer) Park

Recovery

Thanks Whatever: Spruce Creek Park