Hacks

 Breaking news!:

“The internet has made writers obsessed with becoming writers instead of writing: are we spending more time looking like writers than actually writing?”

That is the title of an email I just got in my inbox, from The Stories Club written by author Lina (no last name given). And it caught my attention. Because it’s slightly funny and probably true.

Are some of us just posing as writers? How, even would you do that?

The article says these people buy fancy journals and spend their time in cafes ordering fancy coffees. Posing as a so called writer, but not doing the work. Playing the part. For attention, for ego boost, for I don’t know what. Perhaps it’s the new craze (“oh is that your novel you’re working on?”). I wasn’t aware of it.

I can’t judge anyone for craving a cappuccino (make mine a double espresso!), and if it makes you feel pumped up to loiter in a coffee shop, do so by all means.

And now I am suspicious of my own identity as a writer. Is it legit? I’m guilty of trying to look the part: I wear glasses I don’t really need with such a low magnification it just slightly enhances my visual abilities (oh no I think I’m a phony)…is that weird? Probably. The thing is I like wearing them when I type, I just feel different. More writerly I guess. Pensive perhaps. Librarian like (please don’t fantasize about me)…

Smarter? Yeah, sure. If being blind is a sign of intelligence (who makes up these stereotypes?). If anything was wrong with my eyesight it would be due to alcohol abuse (when your double vision then gives you no vision).

Actually, I used to think I was channeling my sister by wearing the glasses, as she really did wear glasses, the real prescription kind (whereas I saw my optometrist at local Dollar Tree)…and yes, she was smart. 

But the thing is, I do create content. You’re reading the proof.

Does that make me a Real Writer? I don’t know (Google says I am…).

 Lina also says, in another article, that people think that “writing only counts when it happens inside a 400 page novel written inside a remote cabin while consuming alarming amounts of black coffee” (that’s clever (kinda sounds like Kaczynski’s manifesto)).

I’m curious how much black coffee is alarming…

Anyways, I’m really digging AI recently, so I like to ask the interent questions. Google says a writer is defined by the ACT, the HABIT, and the DRIVE. Sounds like a pseudo sexual innuendo to me (go figure)…but that would explain the nature of the writing spirit, one of love and creativity? Maybe that’s a stretch (Now it’s confirmed: my mind is in the gutter and I’m off my rocker).

Well, I have to quote Lina again, because she says writing at her table with a cup of joe on a rainy day is “pretty romantic.” Yes! I agree (this girl is on point. Except she forgot to mention lighting up a smoke).

Writing is meant to be read, just like food is meant to be eaten. I have hand written journals from years of writing, which must be a sign of the writing bug, that I’m sure I’ll never entirely reread and no one else will. I think I’m just fond of the activity and having readers now just sweetens the deal (I’m glad you’re here). 

And yes I have a current journal, which is just a black spiral notebook, and I don’t lug it around for status. But I could if I wanted to. I could really play it up! (Actually I have ignored my journal for what seems like months. Thank you, technology). I think I’ll keep wearing the glasses.

If you want to act like a writer, go ahead, there are certainly worse ways to hurt the world. And if you have a piece of work, I’d love to read it. 

But right now I gotta get a hot cup of coffee ;) strong and black.

See ya. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love This (Trailer) Park

Recovery

Thanks Whatever: Spruce Creek Park