Vacation: Tampa Bay and Kissimmee
Time to put that brown paper bag over my head…
Because I just got back from vacation. And it was awesome! I really had a blast. I’m going to brag a little bit, sorry. John and I went to the Hard rock hotel in Tampa Bay. Because he’s a gambling man, and I’m a good luck charm (I think).
We left Daytona on a Friday for a three hour ride west. We got to Tampa around noon amd parked in a parking garage so we could walk the Riverwalk trail. It’s a two mile hike along Tampas River. It wasn’t very exciting and it was very hot, and lacking entertainment (shopping, of course). Thank god I found a Starbucks tucked inside an embassy suites. Ah, hot coffee. Yes, I’m nuts.
We met a stranger who asked us riddles. Yeah, riddles. Like four different riddles, all very clever with good answers. “What fills up a room but doesn’t take up any space?” We didn’t know (the answer: light). I don’t know if they were originals, but it was cool to meet somebody, enjoying a cigarette just like us, who didn’t want money and wasn’t crazy (I think), who just wanted to rack your brain. The fun had just begun.
There is a trolley that runs through Tampa all the way to Ybor. You read that right: ybor. It’s an old Cuban cigar town. The trolley screeched and teetered down the track. And it’s free. We got off in ybor and had ice cream at Mayday. The Sunday best banana pudding was so good. John got a marshmallow flavor. “What is this? What does this taste like?” he asked me. It was ambiguous. I was already falling in love with this town.
We walked the streets with enough time to make it back to the trolley, which ran every fifteen minutes. There was a smoke shop that sold mushrooms. There was a beautiful windows dressed French boutique. All kinds of bars and clubs. And the brickwork everywhere screamed 1920s. Cobblestone streets. Signs that advertised tequila and whiskey and tacos (can I make a sober joke now?). I would have loved to stay, but we had to get back to Tampa.
The trolley itself was a thrill ride without the nausea. No, air conditioning, but I didn’t mind. I was working up a healthy sweat, exuding adrenaline (And we werent even at the casino yet!).
We had to walk back to the parking garage on Ashley street. This vacation was already an exercise routine. No regrets about that (although later I did start working up a head ache). We drove to our room at the La Quinta. Google Maps came in handy.
But first we needed to get me a bathing suit, because I forgot to bring one. We stopped at an Old Navy and I got a pretty red one piece. And a pair of heart shaped “porno” sunglasses, according to John. Ha! When you’re on vacation you can splurge.
The pool at the hotel was Lukewarm. Oh well. And we had the pool to ourselves. I’m not a great swimmer, I just play in the water. John got on an inflatable floatie. He swam some laps while I laid on a towel and showed off my new sunglasses. The concrete was scorching, and I was worried about sunburn, but not worried enough to apply sunblock, which I didn’t bring. The good news: the whole trip I didn’t get burned, and if anything I’m tanner.
I took a shower with my new cocoa and shea butter body wash. We both got ready to head to the Hard Rock. I wore a dress, even though John said I didn’t need to dress up. But I wanted to look good. And I felt great (except for the head ache. John gave me ibuprofen, thank god). I brought a bright red dollar tree lipstick with me.
I think I’m getting too detailed. Let’s jump to the Hard Rock:
The second parking garage in one day. This place is huge. We got on a “people mover” while we glanced at famous rock and roll memorabilia. John threw up his arms and said “I’m home, baby!” Hell yeah.
We ate dinner at the buffet. Fabulous. Delicious pineapple upside down cake. John got steak. I loved the pasta. There were mini cupcakes with glitter on them! Had to take a picture of that.
And then we could get down to business. The casino was overwhelming large. And yes you can smoke in there. We strolled around until John found a machine he wanted. I sat next to him all night, puffing away and drinking complimentary coffee. I don’t know how to describe the atmosphere, the scent of incense and the techno music combine with the hum and roar of the slot machines. It’s intoxicating. It’s something to experience, to take in, to revel. And it’s a sin. But it’s so much fun.
I’m not going to get into money spent and money won…I’ll just say it was worth the trip ;) we left around midnight. We got a huge brownie sundae served in a margarita glass while we listened to a band called the Lint Rollers. And I had to take pictures of some rockstars, like Eddie V and Paul Stanley (for my friend Ray), and Bob Dylan’s guitar, of course. I was riding a high for sure.
The motel room was a lovely cool temp, just like the hard rock (going in and out of ac all day), but I thought the pillows were too puffy. I never get enough sleep at hotels (I guess I’ll sleep when I’m dead!).
The next day we got breakfast at a Waffle House, and drove to Kissimmee to go to Fun Spot. We mostly walked through Old Town USA , because the rides were too expensive. And I’m not about the rides (I’m sorry, John). So we did some cool shopping. I found some Kiss stuff for Ray. John bought Taffy. We played mini golf at Pirates Cove.
And we came back to Daytona. The casino was definitely the best part of the trip, but Old Town was fun, too. I have a jade butterfly necklace and matching earrings now. I have good memories, and homesickness for a place I’m not even from. And now I’m a fan of Hard Rock hotels.
Vacation life is the best life!
Comments
Post a Comment